Saturday, February 28, 2009

Lenten Sermon Series---Sunday One

Each week of this Lenten Season, I am preaching on a "symbol of Christ." This week is the dove and I am going to remind people of the peace that Christ brings to us. Even through the wilderness we can have peace. I could go on and on about my sermon but really just wanted to share with you the sermon series point, itself. Every week some tangible form of the symbol will be hung on a dead branch at the front of the church. After the sermon there will be a reflection and communion time when the congregation will be invited forward to take a symbol of life from the dead branch. On Good Friday the branch will be bare. And on Easter Sunday that branch will be full of life, full of the symbols from past weeks and probably some flowers added as well. As I made the doves this evening (with Justin's help...thanks friend!), I said a prayer of peace for each person that would take home that symbol of Christ tomorrow.
May you find peace this day and all days ahead. Amen.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Love the idea. Can't wait to hear how it turns out! Glad to know the hobby lobby trip was productive :)