Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Trust Issues

Do you ever have those moments when a friend just calls your attention to something that you really need to hear? This happened to me just the other day. Maybe your first reaction would be to thank them. I sort of wanted to yell at them. It was one of those moments when they really hit a nerve, really hit on something that I knew needed to be said. They were right. I was wrong. But, I am thankful that this person told me this in LOVE and I am thankful that it has had me reconsider some things.
Who can I trust? Now, don't get the wrong idea dear friends. I trust you. I feel loved. I feel cared for, I really do. But sometimes I forget to put my trust in God. That's right, I do. I admit it. And not only do I admit it, I understand it in such a deeper, more real way than I could have said just a year ago.
A theological education has inspired me to know why and how I am going to put my trust in God not just that I need to or that I should. I have been through some situations that make me want to disregard people but I am convinced that trust in God will restore these relationships. I believe there is a balance in trusting God and trusting others.
I was spending some "Emily time" today and found a quote in a book that inspired me to keep seeking to answer and consider that challenge a friend gave me.
"There is no going back.
We are a pilgrim people
who must take to the road again,
learning as we go to sing a new song
and to trust the God
who is always bringing new things to birth." Jo Farrow, 1990

I hope to no longer rely on the old roads that prove that I cannot trust people. I am going to walk on a new road and sing a new song. I pray you can begin to do the same.

Take Care, Em

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May the love and grace of God continue to enfold you as you journey on.

- love the mystery - said...

i love that quote. so beautiful.

Brad said...

Always here.